Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stay Awake!

I recently read a book called Pilgrims Progress. I recommend this book to everyone. It is a little hard to read because it was written in Old English, but the message it brings is awesome! There are so many things about the book I could talk about, but one in particular that really stood out to me. The main character's name is Christian and he is on a journey to the Celestial City. On his way he was given a roll that would be his ticket to enter so he was to keep it safe. As he was going he came upon a place of rest, so he laid down and slept. After a while he got up and continued his journey. He felt for the roll and found it missing. He remembered the place he fell asleep during the day and he said " O wretched man that I am , that I should sleep in the daytime! That I should sleep in the midst of difficulty. How many steps have I taken in vain. How far might I have been on my way by this time! I am made to tread those steps thrice over, for the day is almost spent. Oh that I had not slept!
He was so upset with himself, for the trouble he caused himself. How many times have I taken one step forward just to take three back., because of some selfish desire. I was reading Mark chapter 13 when I came to verses 32-25 . "But that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the door keeper to stay awake. Therefore stay awake-for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning-lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake."
How often can we be found asleep? I have a sense of urgency to stay awake, to learn all I can and to share what I learn. So I say to anyone who reads this Stay awake! Make sure you have your time with our Heavenly Father, get in His word, pray, and tell others what He has done for you.

1 comment:

Christie Jarvis said...

I remember having to read this in school but don't really remember much about it. I think maybe I should find it and read it again.